Wednesday 5 June 2013

Llandeilo to Llanddarog

On Tuesday, Mrs Bob was having her hair primped in Llandeilo and it seemed a good idea to have a lift there and cycle home.

Trusted Steed

Route

Mad dogs and a Welshman go out in the midday sun! Yes it was a hot one.

I headed over Llandeilo bridge and turned right in Fairfach.  The plan was to cycle through Gelli Aur Country Park, but this was abandoned because of locked gates.  There are new owners now and although it seems the public footpaths are still available there is no obvious welcome for other modes of transport - I could be wrong!

Gelli Aur Park & Mansion

Anyway I carried on along the road and then turned left into Gelli Aur village stopping to look at the church, and a drink!

The well had run dry

Gelli Aur Church

Another view of church

I cycled on up the some what steep hill and zig zags looking for the turning right which would take me to Porthyrhyd. Would you believe it a council sign informed me that the road was closed except for access.

I decided to ignore the sign and carry on, if it was closed at least the return trip would be down hill.

Someway along the road another cyclist towing a youngster in a trailer appeared and he was sure the road was not fully closed.  Indeed it wasn't, just a minor repair job which may have restricted motor vehicles.

On I went with good views north and south until dropping down into Porthyrhyd and my home in
Llanddarog.





1 comment:

  1. Well done for persisting. I never believe those closed road signs and have often triumphed like you did.

    ReplyDelete