Friday 24 May 2013

Llanddarog to Clyne Farm (Mumbles)


I had a plan and with the weather forecast looking reasonable, well it was earlier in the week, I decided on my first overnight trip with the bike.

I decided to pedal from home to the camp site at Clyne Farm in the Mumbles area of Swansea Bay, using for the majority of the route, traffic free trails of NCN47 and 4.

Route

The start of the bike trail
The final weather forecast looked OK for the Wednesday, but Thursday showed high winds coming from the north west. There never is a perfect trip and so with bike packed with camping gear and food I set off from home and joined the route near Carreg Hollt, just before Cross Hands.

This was to be my longest one way mileage, although all parts had been cycled in sections previously.

One of many direction posts erected for the Millennium


First view of the distant coast
With plenty of time I made sure to have stops and make a brew using the caldera cone and even reading a book at lunch time.



Bridge leading to the Millennium Coast Path

A large needle with Gower across the estuary

First coffee break
The book was for inspiration, written by Anne Mustoe a retired teacher who has cycled twice around the world, the first time without any experience. My two days seemed trivial.



On the way, near Dunvant rugby club there is a "Bikeability" centre with lots of bikes adapted for those with disabilities.


By the time I reached Swansea Bay there was a certain amount of tiredness and it was time to look for Clyne Farm. Just in case others want to use this site be prepared as it is up a steep hill and an even steeper farm track - I admit to walking and pushing part of this!

Swansea Bay
The bonus of the height are excellent 360 degrees views. There was only one other tent on the site and I never did see the occupant.




This was to be my first time in the new tent, a Luxe Mini Peak, which is basically just a pyramid fly sheet held up in the middle with a walking pole.  It had plenty of room and I was pleased with my bargain buy.


The farm is an activity centre with a selection of animals, the goats were particularly nosy.



After my evening meal I went for a two mile walk which took me around the outskirts of Clyne Gardens.  I did think about going through the gardens but they were closing at dusk - when is that?

This is clearly a moneyed area if one judges wealth by size of property.

An early night to be ready for the return.

Part two is shown as a separate bog.

No comments:

Post a Comment